Friday, October 29, 2010

a sad day....

Hello friends and followers..
I have some unfortunate news to share. After some tummy troubles, I paid a visit to my gastroenterologist yesterday, it came to my attention that I suffer from both lactose and fructose intolerance. What does this mean? I am sensitive to dairies AND processed sugars.
WORST. DAY. EVER.
I won’t lie…as much as I love to bake, but I also love my processed packaged treats too... (Hostess Orange Cupcakes in particular). You can imagine how tough this was for me to come to terms with. Baking delicious treats is going to be quite a struggle, considering almost all fructose-free recipes include dairy and all dairy-free recipes include some kind of sugar!
For the next few weeks, I have been put on a pretty strict, no dairy/no processed sugar diet until I receive some concrete restrictions from my doctor (I may only be allergic to cow’s milk, and not goat’s or sheep’s milk. I could have brown sugar instead of white… you get the idea). Till then, there’s going to be a lot of experimenting and a lot of sulking… I did just receive some rough news here, so I’m entitled wear my pity party dress for a few days.
till then...this is as close to a treat as i'm going to get..

3 comments:

  1. that is so terribly sad. from one dessert lover to another, I am so sorry :(...

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks kat! it's been a struggle so far..and it's only been 7 days! tragic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. sad news indeed. but what a great challenge to begin raising goats! ;) I use to drink goats milk daily as a kid and we never use processed sugars and have come come up w some really great desserts. orange hostesses? lord...

    ReplyDelete