Friday, October 22, 2010

red velvet love

When I first met my friend, Kristen, two summers ago, we established the fact that we were twins separated at birth. We share the same name, the same astrological sign and the same personality. Obviously twins.  In the spirit of Halloween, here we are dressed up at a Halloween party two years ago:

My twin loves red velvet cake, as do I. I think red velvet anything is so fun, but somehow elegant at the same time. Totally fitting for a wedding cake or birthday cupcakes. But at the end of the day, red velvet is actually just the delicious and rich twin of devil’s food cake. (sort of like me and Kristen. JK, twinnie.)
There are two magic ingredients that every Red Velvet item should never be without: vinegar and cream cheese frosting. The vinegar is what really activates the red food coloring and the cream cheese frosting…well, that’s a given. They go together like peanut butter and Nutella.
Here is my favorite cream cheese frosting recipe. Perfect for red velvet..or just off the spoon if you’re by yourself:
1 stick softened butter
1 package softened cream cheese
1 ½ cups powdered sugar (some folks prefer 2 or even 3 cups, but I prefer my cream cheese frosting on the tangy side. Add more sugar if you like; it’s all about personal taste.)
½ tsp. vanilla (if you up the sugar, up this to a 1 tsp.)
In an electric mixer, beat together cream cheese and butter for about three minutes, scraping off the sides of the bowl. Once combined, add vanilla. Slowly add the sugar until you reach desired consistency (light and fluffy).
And since I am thinking of my twin today, I am sending her some red velvet love all the way from Philly:
amazing red velvet cake


whoopie pies! so obsessed...more to come on these....

cheesecake factory's red velvet cheesecake

cupcakes

No comments:

Post a Comment